Sunday 24 August 2014

Tasting Notes: Pale Mild

This pale mild was just a quick beer, intended primarily as a vehicle for growing healthy yeast; but I thought I'd write some brief tasting notes anyway since it turned out pretty well.

Appearance: Slight chill haze, but nice and bright once it warms up a bit.  Decent thin  but lingering head.

Smell: Fruity esters dominate.  Banana and apricot.  Bready malt and very light spice beneath it.

Taste: Slightly sweet, compounded by the fruity esters.  Followed by bready, maybe even slightly nutty malt.  Very gentle hop bite at the end.  Maybe a slight lactic twang?

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation is perfect.  Medium full mouth-feel.  Doesn't seem too light, despite being 3.4%.

Drinkability & Notes: Fairly happy with this one.  It has a nice subtlety to it.  The esters from the yeast are a bit more dominant than I'd like, probably because fermentation started a little high, but its not a fruity mess.  I'd also like a bit more expression from the malt: its slightly muddled, getting a bit lost in the sweetness.  But I've been drinking these most nights, and J seems to like them too, so I'll probably brew something like this again in future.

2 comments:

  1. Ive been brewing pale mild recently myself and found brewers clarex very helpful in controlling the haze.
    A great base malt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'll have to try that. I use whirlfloc in the kettle, and sometimes use BioClear to help drop out the yeast, but I haven't experimented with other finings.

      Delete