Monday 23 June 2014

Tasting Notes: Table Beer I

This is the first of two table beers I made earlier this summer.  As a recap, the idea (borrowed from Basic Brewing) was to make a pale hoppy beer with a grist consisting entirely of wheat and rye malt.  It was fermented with The Yeast Bay’s Vermont Ale strain, and came out at 2.4% ABV.

Table Beer I

Appearance: Pale, hazy straw colour.  Thick head that lingers for a good while.

Smell: Berries and stone fruit. J says passion fruit, but I don’t know what that tastes like.  Slight dankness.  Very pleasant.

Taste: Follows nose, but not as pronounced.  A touch grassy.  Some sweetness from the wheat, quickly transitioning to a very firm bitterness.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, but pretty great considering that its only 2.4%.  Bitterness and relatively high carbonation make it a little astringent, though for me not unpleasantly so.

Drinkability & Notes: Very happy with this one.  The taste and flavour aren’t particularly remarkable---its not going to win any competitions---but its tasty and very drinkable, which is exactly what I was going for.  Most of the batch has gone already, and since I’ve been off work this week I’ve enjoyed one with lunch more than once.  If I were making this with someone else in mind I might dial back the bitterness slightly---it is a bit harsh and biting

No comments:

Post a Comment